[P2PSIP] Concepts Draft
David Bryan
2014-06-13 20:40:12 UTC
I was recently asked to update the concepts draft and discuss the important
issues. The pass that has been made is largely around normalizing the text
to be compliant with the terminology of RFC 6940, but it certainly will
need an additional pass after a few questions to the group:

To move this draft forward, there are a few open issues/questions:

MAJOR OPEN ISSUE: The initial wording in the high-level description
about proving AoR to contact mapping reflects a very long and
contentious debate about the role of the protocol, and reflected a
pretense that this was an overlay only for P2PSIP. That is not
really true in base anymore (see last paragraph of introduction) and
the language has been very much genericized in base. Should we make
this text more abstract and then use AoR->contact mapping as an
example of the (original) use? On a related note, see the last
paragraph of the Background section -- do we want to reword this?

(my thought would be to make the text more generic, and mention that the
AoR->contact mapping is the most popular usage...)

OPEN ISSUE: Should we include a section that documents previous
decisions made, to preserve the historical debate and prevent past
issues from being raised in the future, or simply rely on the mailing
list to address these concerns?

(I don't think we want to do this. Huge (and largely unneeded) can of
worms, but it has been in the open issues section for some time and should
be at least asked of the list)

OPEN ISSUE: Should we include the use cases from
draft-bryan-p2psip-app-scenarios-00 (now long expired)? There was
some interest in doing so in previous versions, but no conclusion was
reached.

(given the current stage of the group, I would say these aren't likely to
be useful anymore, but again, as it is currently listed as an open issue in
the draft, need to check)

The final open issue is do we want to advance the draft? In discussion with
the chairs and some folks, it seems the answer is yes, there is useful
material and we should push the draft out, but I wanted to discuss.
Assuming there is still interest, I'd also welcome any comments on the
draft...I'm sure I missed a few spots where it no longer aligns with 6940.

David
Songhaibin (A)
2014-06-16 01:20:56 UTC
Hi David,

Best Regards!
-Haibin

[...]

[Haibin] I agree. And the last paragraph in background section needs rewording where it says DHT is just for a distributed SIP registrar.

OPEN ISSUE: Should we include a section that documents previous
decisions made, to preserve the historical debate and prevent past
issues from being raised in the future, or simply rely on the mailing
list to address these concerns?

(I don't think we want to do this. Huge (and largely unneeded) can of worms, but it has been in the open issues section for some time and should be at least asked of the list)

[Haibin] Is it a normal practice to document that? And for a concept draft? I do not think so.

OPEN ISSUE: Should we include the use cases from
draft-bryan-p2psip-app-scenarios-00 (now long expired)? There was
some interest in doing so in previous versions, but no conclusion was
reached.

(given the current stage of the group, I would say these aren't likely to be useful anymore, but again, as it is currently listed as an open issue in the draft, need to check)

[Haibin] It is usually good to have application scenarios, but with regarding to the current status of this group, it might be better to document those in a independent draft if we really need them.

The final open issue is do we want to advance the draft? In discussion with the chairs and some folks, it seems the answer is yes, there is useful material and we should push the draft out, but I wanted to discuss. Assuming there is still interest, I'd also welcome any comments on the draft...I'm sure I missed a few spots where it no longer aligns with 6940.

[Haibin] IMO, yes.

BR,
-Haibin
Rosen, Brian
2014-06-17 17:33:06 UTC
Post by David Bryan
MAJOR OPEN ISSUE: The initial wording in the high-level description
about proving AoR to contact mapping reflects a very long and
contentious debate about the role of the protocol, and reflected a
pretense that this was an overlay only for P2PSIP. That is not
really true in base anymore (see last paragraph of introduction) and
the language has been very much genericized in base. Should we make
this text more abstract and then use AoR->contact mapping as an
example of the (original) use? On a related note, see the last
paragraph of the Background section -- do we want to reword this?
(my thought would be to make the text more generic, and mention that the AoR->contact mapping is the most popular usage…)
Agree
Post by David Bryan
OPEN ISSUE: Should we include a section that documents previous
decisions made, to preserve the historical debate and prevent past
issues from being raised in the future, or simply rely on the mailing
list to address these concerns?
(I don't think we want to do this. Huge (and largely unneeded) can of worms, but it has been in the open issues section for some time and should be at least asked of the list)
No, we don’t need to do this
Post by David Bryan
OPEN ISSUE: Should we include the use cases from
draft-bryan-p2psip-app-scenarios-00 (now long expired)? There was
some interest in doing so in previous versions, but no conclusion was
reached.
(given the current stage of the group, I would say these aren't likely to be useful anymore, but again, as it is currently listed as an open issue in the draft, need to check)
Nah, I don’t think it is necessary, or even that useful at this point
Post by David Bryan
The final open issue is do we want to advance the draft? In discussion with the chairs and some folks, it seems the answer is yes, there is useful material and we should push the draft out, but I wanted to discuss. Assuming there is still interest, I'd also welcome any comments on the draft...I'm sure I missed a few spots where it no longer aligns with 6940.
I would like to see this finished.
Post by David Bryan
David
Gonzalo Camarillo

David Bryan
2015-02-03 13:43:38 UTC
I am indeed. It needs one small pass to conform to 6940 language but should
otherwise be good to go. I have in my notes that I was waiting for any
further comments, but the list has been very quiet.
Hi,
Post by David Bryan
MAJOR OPEN ISSUE: The initial wording in the high-level description
about proving AoR to contact mapping reflects a very long and
contentious debate about the role of the protocol, and reflected a
pretense that this was an overlay only for P2PSIP. That is not
really true in base anymore (see last paragraph of introduction) and
the language has been very much genericized in base. Should we make
this text more abstract and then use AoR->contact mapping as an
example of the (original) use? On a related note, see the last
paragraph of the Background section -- do we want to reword this?
(my thought would be to make the text more generic, and mention that
the AoR->contact mapping is the most popular usage
)
Agree
Post by David Bryan
The final open issue is do we want to advance the draft? In discussion
with the chairs and some folks, it seems the answer is yes, there is useful
material and we should push the draft out, but I wanted to discuss.
Assuming there is still interest, I'd also welcome any comments on the
draft...I'm sure I missed a few spots where it no longer aligns with 6940.
I would like to see this finished.
Post by David Bryan
David
Gonzalo Camarillo
2015-02-03 14:35:42 UTC
Hi David,

thanks for the quick response! Given the status, I think you can just
revise the draft and get the chairs to WGLC it. Do you have an ETA for
such a revision?

Thanks,

Gonzalo
Post by David Bryan
I am indeed. It needs one small pass to conform to 6940 language but
should otherwise be good to go. I have in my notes that I was waiting
for any further comments, but the list has been very quiet.
On Feb 3, 2015 2:37 AM, "Gonzalo Camarillo"
Hi,
Post by Rosen, Brian
Post by David Bryan
this text more abstract and then use AoR->contact mapping as an
example of the (original) use? On a related note, see the last
paragraph of the Background section -- do we want to reword this?
(my thought would be to make the text more generic, and mention
that the AoR->contact mapping is the most popular usage…)
Post by Rosen, Brian
Agree
Post by Rosen, Brian
Post by David Bryan
list to address these concerns?
(I don't think we want to do this. Huge (and largely unneeded)
can of worms, but it has been in the open issues section for some
time and should be at least asked of the list)
Post by Rosen, Brian
No, we don’t need to do this
Post by Rosen, Brian
I would like to see this finished.
Post by David Bryan
David
David Bryan
Dean Willis
2015-02-03 15:24:02 UTC
David is my hero.
Post by David Bryan
I can iterate next week or week after, and yes, agree it is very close to
ready for WGLC.
Post by David Bryan
Post by David Bryan
The final open issue is do we want to advance the draft? In
discussion with the chairs and some folks, it seems the answer is
yes, there is useful material and we should push the draft out, but
I wanted to discuss. Assuming there is still interest, I'd also
welcome any comments on the draft...I'm sure I missed a few spots
where it no longer aligns with 6940.
I would like to see this finished.
Post by David Bryan
David
Gonzalo Camarillo
2015-02-05 14:21:11 UTC
Post by Dean Willis
David is my hero.
s/my/our/ :-)
Post by Dean Willis
I can iterate next week or week after, and yes, agree it is very
close to ready for WGLC.
If you could revise the draft in that time frame, that would be really
great. Also, if you could discuss on the list what remains to be
resolved in order to get the draft to be ready for WGLC, that would give
us a way forward.

Thanks!

Gonzalo
Post by David Bryan
for any further comments, but the list has been very quiet.
On Feb 3, 2015 2:37 AM, "Gonzalo Camarillo"
Hi,
what is the status of this draft? Are its authors actively
working
Post by David Bryan
on it?
Thanks,
Gonzalo
Post by David Bryan
the language has been very much genericized in
base. Should
Post by David Bryan
we make
Post by David Bryan
Post by David Bryan
issues from being raised in the future, or simply
rely on the
Post by David Bryan
mailing
Post by David Bryan
where it no longer aligns with 6940.
I would like to see this finished.
Post by David Bryan
David
Gonzalo Camarillo
2015-04-13 08:13:26 UTC
Hi David,

what is the status of this effort?

Cheers,

Gonzalo
Post by Gonzalo Camarillo
Hi,
Post by Dean Willis
David is my hero.
s/my/our/ :-)
Post by David Bryan
the language has been very much genericized in
base. Should
Post by David Bryan
we make
Post by David Bryan
Post by David Bryan
issues from being raised in the future, or simply
rely on the
Post by David Bryan
mailing
Post by David Bryan